Monday, February 23, 2009

LinkedIn – My Connection Addiction

Honestly, I never got Facebook. Sure, I created a page and Friended a bunch of real friends and then some other people who would only qualify as friends in a strange new virtual universe. Every time I touched on social networking in front of a group and casually mentioned that I had a Facebook page, a flood of new requests to connect would come in. For a fleeting moment the new widespread interest in being my friend seemed salve my childhood slights of being picked last for every team and not being invited to some key birthday parties (the “lost in the mail” fib instilled a misplaced early distrust of the postal system). But the growing list of my “friends” didn’t really make me feel more loved. So I maintained a tepid relationship with my Facebook account and the associated friends.

My main difficulty could be summed up in a single word, “Why?” Why would I really want to be connected with these people? And then I made the big leap of thinking that social networking itself held little value.

Then I found LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/). LinkedIn has been described as a grown-up Facebook. But I don’t think that is really fair. It isn’t about age or even maturity. It is matter of orientation. LinkedIn is about business, jobs, careers, and professional networking. No apps sending kisses. No beach pictures of people I really don’t want to see in bathing suits. Job titles, work experience, and references are the stuff of LinkedIn.

OK, it sounded a little boring to me too until a couple of weeks ago. That was when I created a UGA New Media Alumni Group (http://www.tinyurl.com/NMAlum). In just an hour, former students started joining. It was great to see what they had accomplished, where they were working, and who else they knew. Then the trouble started. In the middle of something important, I would get an alert that another alumni had joined the group. I would go on to send them a message catching up. I started searching for UGA grads. I began cajoling the group into ratting out other Alum so I could harass them to join. And I began to hear from the members about how the economic uncertainty is affecting even the new media. Then I loaded the LinkedIn app onto my iPhone. When my wife caught me building my network in bed, she told me I needed help. And when she mentioned an intervention to address my LinkedIn stalking, I knew I needed to change.

So I am learning cope. Cold turkey won’t work. But I only check my invitations 15 or 20 times a day. The UGA New Media Alumni group is over 100 strong now. And you wouldn’t believe all the cool places where our students work and all the wild things they have done. It really makes me proud. And all this networking is actually a lot more fun than actually working.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

Linkedin is rockin. About.com added linkedin to their top ten job sites. The 3 newest sites -

www.linkedin.com (professional networking)
www.indeed.com (aggregated listings)
www.realmatch.com (matches jobs based on your skills)

good luck to those looking.

February 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Christopher Byrne said...

Each of these social networking sites has pluses and minuses, advantages and disadvantages.

LinkedIn can be useful, but is very limited in feature sets. Unless you know the exact email address of someone, you cannot "friend" them. It is also difficult to navigate at times, and performance is slow. It has decent search capabilities. But for business contacts, it cannot be beat (presently).

Facebook, on the other hand, makes it easier to find people you may know through built in tool such as "People you might know". I have re-established contact with friends from grade school and high school on there! As you would say, pretty cool! I have also made contact with people important to our online publication (Eye on Sports Media). I am able to find news leads, photographs and even more on there that are of use for the publication. For example, I would never have found the gentleman who allowed me to reprint a 3 -part series called "Iraq IV - Back to Iraq" if it were not for Facebook. I would never have made that connection on LinkedIn because LinkedIn does not have multi-media capability, and makes it very difficult to send blind emails to somebody unless you are already connected or have paid their obscene fee.

Yes, I absolutely hate some of the requests I get on Facebook with stupid apps that want to install and violate your privacy. But I can connect with people on a different level than I can on LinkedIn.

Social Networking is nhere to stay in some form or another, whether it be LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or whatever. IBM has worked to bring Social networking into the corporate enterprise with Lotus Connections because they recognize the importance of it as the next generation of workers enters the labor force. It is a cross between LinkedIn and Facebook, and it does need some improvement to make it really useful. But guess what? It is selling hugely in places where you would least expect it.

In the end, it all comes down to the fact that these sites and software like Connections are tools. It is all how you use them and what you make out of them.

February 24, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home